FAQ – I’d like to work for HITS as an interpreter

Herts Interpreting & Translation Services > Frequently asked questions > FAQ – I’d like to work for HITS as an interpreter

How do I go about working for HITS?

If you would like to apply to join the HITS interpreter Register, the process is very straightforward. In the first instance, you should send an email to HITSrecruit@communityactiondacorum.org.uk to request an Interpreter Registration Form. Please include your name, full postal address, telephone number and level of interpreting qualification.

What interpreting qualification does HITS require?

As a long-standing training and examination centre for the Chartered Institute of Linguists, HITS believes the Level 6 Diploma in Public Service Interpreting (DPSI) is the most reliable indication of professional competence. HITS is also happy to hear from individuals who have achieved the Diploma in Police Interpreting, the Metropolitan Police Test, an MA in Interpreting or who have completed the Oral/Practical Part of the full DPSI. HITS is also happy to hear from those who have successfully passed a legitimate interim “safe to practice” assessment from respected organisations such as CINTRA, MKLS and HITS itself.

What additional documentation will I need to provide?

In addition to a completed Interpreter Registration Form (which we will send to you by email) and a copy of your interpreting qualification, HITS will also require a current Enhanced DBS Check and proof of your eligibility to work in the U.K.

I do not have a DBS Check? How do I get one?

Please contact Fatima Ikram on 01442 867216. She is our Head of Booking and designated DBS officer. She can make the arrangements for you to obtain the required check.

I have a Basic check. Is that OK?

No. It will have to be an Enhanced DBS Check. Please contact Fatima.

I’m not quite sure what I need to do to prove my Right to Work.

No problem. Get in touch with Fatima Ikram and she will help you. Otherwise you can consult the Government’s Right to Work checklist at: www.gov.uk/government/publications/right-to-work-checklist/employers-right-to-work-checklist-accessible-version

Do you require references?

Yes. Two relevant references are required. At least one should be from an organisation or agency that has used your interpreting services.

Are you looking for particular languages?

If you are a qualified interpreter, we will be very happy to hear from you, whatever your language.

Does it matter where I live?

As a large part of our work involves telephone and video interpreting, it is not necessary that you should live in our immediate local area. However, you must live in the United Kingdom.

It would be useful to know how much you pay.

Of course. As part of our registration process, you will receive a comprehensive statement of our rates of pay and associated terms and conditions. You may then decide whether to apply to join our Interpreter Register based upon that information.

What is your method of payment?

All interpreter payments are made by BACS on a monthly basis one month in arrears. We cannot pay by cash or cheque or to a personal account in another name.

Do I have to be self-employed?

No. In line with HMRC guidance, we offer interpreters the choice of receiving payment through our payroll or as a self-employed interpreter. If you wish to be paid as a self-employed interpreter, we will require official confirmation of your current status and an official document showing your Unique Tax Reference number. We will not insist you become self-employed or consider you self-employed by default (what is now termed “bogus self-employment”).

Sounds a little confusing. Are you able to provide me with some advice on this?

Yes. Our Head of Finance will be very happy to discuss the available options and help you decide which option is best for you. Please contact her on HITSfinance@communityactiondacorum.org.uk.

I have a friend who really wants to be an interpreter but has not passed an examination.

HITS is one of the U.K’s leading providers of interpreter training. Since 2001, it has entered more than 650 candidates into the Diploma in Public Service Interpreting qualification and has received more than a dozen national awards for the success of its trainees. If your friend would like to train to be a professional interpreter, ask them to keep an eye on the HITS website (www.hertsinterpreting.org.uk) or to email HITSrecruit@communityactiondacorum.org.uk

Thanks for answering my questions. What if I have a question not covered here?

You may find the answer elsewhere on this site. If not, just get in touch. It’ll be great to hear from you.